The Hunter House
Judge John Sparks, a prominent man during the Revolutionary War period, built the Hunter-Lawrence house in 1765. The Reverend Andrew Hunter, who was one of the 'Tea Burners' of Greenwich and a chaplain in the Revolutionary Army, owned it in 1792, and six years later it became the home of John Lawrence. Lawrence's younger brother, James, lived in the house and received his education at Woodbury Academy. In 1813 James was fatally wounded on the deck of his ship. His dying words, "Don't give up the ship", have since become the watchword of the U.S. Navy. 

By 1871 it was in possession of Judge John Jessup who sold it to the Gloucester County Historical Society November 10, 1924. The Gloucester County Historical Society has maintained it as an 18-room museum ever since.

Mahogany Desk and Bookcase that formerly belonged to Elizabeth Haddon. Bequeathed to the Gloucester County Historical Society by Susan Carpenter, daughter of former Judge Thomas P. Carpenter and a lineal descendant of Elizabeth Haddon.

Gloucester County Historical Society

58 North Broad Street, Woodbury