Please see the attached announcement for a listening session for public comments on revisions by the Attorney General to the Use of Force Policy. The listening session will be held on Thursday, July 16 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at St. Matthews Baptist Church, 245 Glassboro Rd., Williamstown, NJ. In compliance with executive orders, seating will be limited to 100 and masks are required. Please register in advance at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/use-of-force-listening-session-tickets-111349056024.
We hope that the community and its leaders can attend and provide us thoughts and comments as to revisions to the Use of Force Policy. We will submit all thoughts and comments to the Attorney General. ALL INPUT IS WELCOME ON ANY ASPECTS OF THE USE OF FORCE POLICY. But, some specific areas for revision to the Use of Force Policy include:
• Specific tactics designed to subdue a subject
• Engaging subjects with serious mental illness or substance abuse issues
• Exhausting all other reasonable means and pursuing de-escalation before resorting to deadly force
• Applying force proportionate to the subject’s alleged conduct
• Less-than-lethal uses of force
• Duty to intervene when another officer engages in excessive use of force
• Firing a weapon at a moving vehicle
• High-speed car pursuits
• Reporting and training requirements
• Any other proposals that reduce the risk of injury and death to civilians while maintaining the safety of police officers.
Additionally, the Attorney General has opened a Public Comment Portal. Submissions are being accepted until August 1, 2020 at nj.gov/oag/force.
Please forward to others in the community so everyone’s voice can be heard. Thank you in advance for your thoughts and comments.