|| All Municipal Chairpersons and Candidates
|| Christopher Powell, Chairman
|| April 2018
In accordance with Title 19:7-3 of the Election Laws of the State of New Jersey, I am enclosing a signature letter and form for submission of challengers, to be issued under your signature.
The deadline date to submit challengers is Tuesday, October 23, 2018 Please keep in mind that you are entitled to appoint two challengers per district, under your name.
Please notify our office as to if you would like the challenger badges mailed to the individuals, or you would like to pick them up in person at our office.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our office via email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 384-4500. Thank you for your cooperation regarding this matter.
Appointing Challengers (19:7-1 & 19:7-2)
- Challengers are appointed to observe the conduct of an election on behalf of:
- a candidate
- a political party
- the proponents or opponents of a question
- The County Chairperson of each political party may appoint two (2) challengers per election district.
- A municipal Chairperson may appoint for the political party two (2) challengers for each election district within the municipality.
- Candidates whose names appear on the ballot automatically are challengers. They do not need to have a Challenger Badge.
- A candidate for election may appoint two (2) challengers for each election district in which he/she is to be voted for, but only two (2) challengers shall be allowed for each election district to represent all candidates nominated in and by the same petition.
- Not more than one (1) challenger appointed for a party, candidate, or on a public question, shall be present at any one time in any polling place while serving and exercising the powers of a challenger and during the hours when the polls are open for voting. (19:7-6.1)
- A County Chairman can appoint "at-large" challengers equal to the number of municipalities in the county. The "at-large" challenger shall be issued a county-wide permit which is to be presented to any district poll worker within the county. When leaving the polling place, such challenger must reclaim the permit in order to gain entry to any other polling place.
- It is the responsiblity of the local party chairs to educate challengers about the position.
Click Here for a downloadable "Challenger Request Form".
Click Here for Challenger Rules