The Medical Examiner's office is committed by law to determine the cause and manner of death. This involves investigation, viewings and autopsies. New Jersey State statue determines when a death is reported to the Medical Examiner office and when an autopsy must be performed. An autopsy must be conducted when a death occurs under the following circumstances:
- All cases of apparent homicidal deaths
- All deaths occurring under suspicious or unusual circumstance
- All deaths from causes which might constitute a threat to public health
- All deaths of inmates of jail
- All infants and children suspected of having been abused or neglected and children suspected of having died from sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)
Robert M. Damminger
Health and Human Services
Gerald Feigin, MD
The Medical Examiner's office is located at:
Gloucester County Offices @ East Holly
204 East Holly Ave.
Sewell, NJ 08080
As of March 2006, The Gloucester/Salem Medical Examiner's Office merged with Camden County. In serving all 3 Counties we are now the Gloucester - Camden - Salem Medical Examiners Office.