The New Jersey Department of Human Services has launched a new web page, http://www.njhelps.org/ , which allows New Jersey residents to go online and find out if they may be eligible for eight State assistance programs. By simply answering a few questions about household income and expenses.
Residents Can Screen for the Following Programs
- NJ SNAP (Formerly Food Stamps)
- Medicaid (Health Insurance)
- NJ FamilyCare (affordable health insurance for children)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (heating bill assistance)
- Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (welfare services and cash assistance for families with children)
- General Assistance (welfare services and cash assistance for childless adults)
- NJ Cares for Kids (child care subsidies)
- Kinship Navigator (provides support and assistance to adults raising a relative's child)
The NJHelps.org website is free, and easy to use, and anonymous. It provides residents with helpful program specific information including contact information, addresses of the office where residents can apply for programs, lists of needed documents, and links to printable online applications for many of the programs.
Gloucester County residents who would like to apply for Food Stamps,TANF or NJFamily Care on line can visit: https://oneapp.dhs.state.nj.us/, or call 1-800-687-9512.
The resident fills in required information and the application is automatically emailed directly to the Gloucester County Division of Social Services. However, if the applicant is eligible they are still required to come into the agency for a face to face interview.
EARNED INCOME TAX CREDIT: APPLY IF YOU WORKED FULL OR PART TIME OR WERE SELF EMPLOYED IN 2014 AND EARNED LESS THAN $49,000. INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE: WWW.IRS.GOV/EITC OR CALL 1-800-829-1040. NJ DIVISION OF TAXATION: WWW.NJTAXATION.ORG OR CALL 1-866-698-9065. TO GET FREE HELP IN FILING YOUR TAXES DIAL 2-1-1 OR CALL 1-877-652-1148