About Utility Assistance

Low Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEA)

Assistance is available to help pay for heating or medically-necessary cooling costs. Applicants for Food Stamps automatically apply for LIHEA when applying for these programs. No other application is necessary. Other Gloucester County residents who feel they may qualify for LI HEA may contact:

Test City Child Care Center 901 N Delaware Street and Madison, Paulsboro , NJ 08066
(856) 423-0040


The Hispanic Family Center of Southern New Jersey. The Gloucester County Office is located at The Carriage House, 21 Delaware Street, Woodbury, NJ 08096. Telephone: (856) 848-7150

The New Jersey Department of Human Services has launched a new web page, http://www.njhelps.org/ , which allows New Jersey residents to go online and find out if they may be eligible for eight State assistance programs. By simply answering a few questions about household income and expenses, residents can screen for the following programs:

  • Food Stamps
  • Medicaid (Health Insurance)
  • NJ FamilyCare (affordable health insurance for children)
  • Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (heating bill assistance)
  • Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (welfare services and cash assistance for families with children)
  • General Assistance (welfare services and cash assistance for childless adults)
  • NJ Cares for Kids (child care subsidies)
  • Kinship Navigator (provides support and assistance to adults raising a relative's child)