Commissioner Jim Lavender is serving his first term on the Gloucester County Board of Commissioners.
Commissioner Lavender oversees and serves as Liaison to the Department of Parks and Land Preservation which consists of:
- Agriculture Development Board and the Rutgers Cooperative Extension Services which includes:
- 4-H Youth Development Programs
- Agriculture and Resource Management
- Family and Community Health Sciences
- Gloucester County Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program-Education (SNAP-Ed)
- Certified Gardeners Program
- Office of Land Preservation
- Parks and Golf Advisory Board
- Parks and Recreation
- Pitman Golf Course
Jim earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in history and secondary education from Rowan University in 1995, his Master of Education degree in School Leadership in 2002, and his Doctorate degree in Educational Innovation and Leadership from Wilmington University in 2006. Jim has been a resident of Woolwich Township since 2003 where he lives with his wife Dr. Jennifer S. Lavender and daughters Madison and Jessica.
Jim brings extensive experience in government, fiscal management and shared services to the Board of Chosen Commissioners. He is presently employed as the Superintendent of Schools for the Kingsway Regional and South Harrison Township Elementary School Districts, positions he has held since 2010. As a school superintendent, Jim serves as the Chief Executive Officer for both districts, overseeing all operations, program development, school maintenance, and financial management, in accordance with the rules, regulations and policies of the Board of Education.
As an active community member, Jim previously served as:
- Deputy Mayor of Woolwich Township; a member of the Board of Trustees at Rowan College at Gloucester County (RCGC)
- Member of the Board of Directors for the Inspira Health Network
- Member of the Board of Education for Gloucester County Institute of Technology (GCIT) and the Special Services School Districts (GCSSSD).
Awards & Recognition
Jim was awarded:
- Citizens Award for Service to the College Medallion in 2018 by the Rowan College at Gloucester County Board of Trustees
- Distinguished Service Awards in 2018 and 2017 by the Kingsway Regional School District
- Certificate of Appreciation in 2015 by the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 10886
- Presidential Award for Leadership in 2006 by Wilmington University
- Middle School Teacher of the Year in 2002