Certified Gardeners Program
This program offers interested county residents 60 hours of training in a variety of horticultural topics taught by leaders in the horticultural industry. At the completion of training participants are asked to volunteer 60 hours back to the program through a variety of activities.
Certified Gardener Training Program
If you have an interest in gardening and volunteering this program is for you. Both beginning and experienced gardeners will gain valuable knowledge through this exciting program. The classes begin every January and are held on Wednesday mornings from 9 am to noon.
The volunteer activities include assisting county residents with their gardening and insect problems, teaching gardening classes to youth and adults, and assisting the county, municipalities and local organizations with community beautification projects.
If you have an interest in this program, please access and complete the Certified Gardeners Training Program Application.
Certified Gardeners Helpline
Residents may call or visit the Certified Gardeners for advice on all aspects of gardening and lawn care, including pest identification, plant disease diagnosis, gardening for pollinators and more. Free pH soil testing is available.
Hints from the Gardeners Helpline
For some basic information on a variety of gardening topics, including tips and advice to keep your garden green, view the Hints From the Helpline (PDF).
- The Gloucester County Horticultural Symposium is held every year in April. This program brings renowned speakers to the area to present on their area of expertise.
- Spring Garden Expo and Plant Sale is held annually on the Saturday before Mother's Day. The day features free seminars and demonstrations on gardening, along with a plant sale. The plant sale features a large selections of unique heirloom vegetables along with herbs and flowers.
- Ann Whitall Flower Show is held annually in June. The day features a display of horticulture specimens and floral arrangements along with free gardening seminars and plant vendors. This show is open tot the general public, there is no fee to enter of visit the show.
- Gloucester County Home Gardener School is held every year from January to May. We offer weekly classes on a variety of gardening topics. These classes are for anyone who has a desire to learn more about different aspects of gardening. You can take just one or two classes, or the entire series.
- Gloucester County Pesticide Recertification Classes are held each year on Wednesday mornings from January to May. These classes are for anyone needing NJ Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) Pesticide Recertification Credits.
- James and Ann Whitall House Craft Classes will be held on March 20, 2021 and April 17, 2021. Due to the current health crisis we will be offering a reduced class schedule. All Classes will be held outside under a tent. Class size is limited to 10 people and will follow the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC) guidelines. You will need to complete a separate Registration Form for each class you would like to attend. Fill out the Spring 2021 Craft Class Registration Form
- Red Bank Spring Festival: come enjoy a day of family fun and learn about life in Colonial America. The day will offer Colonial trade and home life demonstrations, a petting zoo, children's crafts and games, along with tours of the Whitall House and Battlefield.
- Whitall House Colonial Tea and Garden Tour: come out and tour the beautiful Whitall House gardens followed by a light lunch in the Whitall House. Reservations are required. There is a fee for this event.
- Red Bank Fall Festival: enjoy an afternoon of family fun including a straw bale maze, children's games and crafts. Come in costume and trick or treat through the not-too-scary haunted Whitall House.
- Whitall House Valentines' Day Dinner: step back in time and enjoy a dinner in the historic Whitall Mansion. Reservations are required.
Need a speaker for your group or club? We offer programs on a variety of topics to youth and adults. We've provided a partial list of lectures/programs you can schedule for your group. We also offer Make and Take programs for a nominal fee that covers materials.