- Land Preservation
- Certified Gardeners Program
Certified Gardeners Program
This program offers interested county residents 60 hours of training in a variety of horticultural topics taught by leaders in the horticultural industry. At the completion of training participants are asked to volunteer 60 hours back to the program through a variety of activities.
Certified Gardener Training Program
If you have an interest in gardening and volunteering this program is for you. Both beginning and experienced gardeners will gain valuable knowledge through this exciting program. The classes begin every January and are held on Wednesday mornings from 9 am to noon.
The volunteer activities include assisting county residents with their gardening and insect problems, teaching gardening classes to youth and adults, and assisting the county, municipalities and local organizations with community beautification projects.
If you have an interest in this program, please access and complete the Certified Gardeners Training Program Application.
Certified Gardeners Helpline
Residents may call or visit the Certified Gardeners for advice on all aspects of gardening and lawn care, including pest identification, plant disease diagnosis, gardening for pollinators and more. Free pH soil testing is available.
Hints from the Gardeners Helpline
For some basic information on a variety of gardening topics, including tips and advice to keep your garden green, view the Hints From the Helpline (PDF).
- The Gloucester County Horticultural Symposium is held every year in April. This program brings renowned speakers to the area to present on their area of expertise.
- Spring Garden Expo and Plant Sale is held annually on the Saturday before Mother's Day. The day features free seminars and demonstrations on gardening, along with a plant sale. The plant sale features a large selections of unique heirloom vegetables along with herbs and flowers.
- Gloucester County Home Gardener School is held every year from January to May. We offer weekly classes on a variety of gardening topics. These classes are for anyone who has a desire to learn more about different aspects of gardening. You can take just one or two classes, or the entire series.2023 Home Gardening School Schedule
- Gloucester County Pesticide Recertification Classes are held each year on Wednesday mornings from January to May. These classes are for anyone needing NJ Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) Pesticide Recertification Credits.2023 Pesticide Recertification Class List
- Red Bank Spring Festival: come enjoy a day of family fun and learn about life in Colonial America. The day will offer Colonial trade and home life demonstrations, a petting zoo, children's crafts and games, along with tours of the Whitall House and Battlefield.
- Whitall House Colonial Tea and Garden Tour: come out and tour the beautiful Whitall House gardens followed by a light lunch in the Whitall House. Reservations are required. There is a fee for this event.
- Red Bank Fall Festival: enjoy an afternoon of family fun including a straw bale maze, children's games and crafts. Come in costume and trick or treat through the not-too-scary haunted Whitall House.
- Gloucester County Certified Gardener Butterfly Festival: Enjoy a day of Family Fun while learning about the importance of pollinators. Join us for tours of the butterfly house, games and crafts, live music, bug shows and end the day with the butterfly and bug parade.
Need a speaker for your group or club? We offer programs on a variety of topics to youth and adults. We've provided a partial list of lectures/programs you can schedule for your group. We also offer Make and Take programs for a nominal fee that covers materials.
Fill out the Program Request Form to Schedule a Program for Your Group.