Gloucester County is committed to serving all residents with the best services we have to offer.
As Director of the Gloucester County Board of Commissioners, I have the privilege to oversee all departments that serve the residents of Gloucester County.
In 2021, we’re continuing these services, events and more and want to educate you on how you can get the most out of living in Gloucester County.
The Department of Health has various divisions that assist residents. The Department of Health provides: a range of nursing activities, environmental health services, public health information, and health education sessions to all residents of Gloucester County.
Many of these services focus upon protecting persons from health threats and assist our residents to adopt healthful lifestyles. Today, we are looking at Environmental Health and the services it offers.
The Environmental Health division provides technical assistance and enforces public health and environmental laws to ensure the protection of the environment and the health and safety of our residents.
The public health protection services we conduct include:
- Retail and Food Inspections
- Inspectors monitor the listed establishments for compliance in food handling, food temperatures, and personal hygiene using "Sanitation in Retail Food Establishments and Food and Beverage Vending Machines" provided by the NJ Department of Health.
- Youth camp safety Inspections
- Public Recreational Bathing Inspections
- Registered Environmental Health Specialists annually inspect public lakes, pools, and hot tubs to ensure compliance with state recreational bathing regulations. Health and safety issues are the focus for the inspections and water analysis reports are received and reviewed on a weekly basis.
- Body Art Procedure Inspections
- Mosquito & Tick-Borne Diseases
- Gloucester County uses an Integrated Mosquito Management program to control the mosquito population. Tick-borne diseases are infections transmitted by the bite of infected ticks. Personal prevention measures and surveillance and control are key in preventing and controlling vector-borne diseases
- People who are bitten by, or have had contact with saliva from an animal should notify the health department and seek medical care. Staff will consult with the persons bitten or exposed to rabies and will make recommendations regarding rabies prophylaxis to their health care provider. If the suspected rabid animal is available, testing or confinement of the animal is arranged.
- Sanitary Operation of Kennels, Pet Shops & Shelter Inspections
- Tanning Facility Inspections
- Investigations of:
- Animal Bites
- Public Health Complaints
- Reportable food-borne illnesses
We also conduct activities under the County Environmental Health Act (CEHA) on behalf of the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP).
These programs include
- Air Pollution Control
- Water Pollution Control
- Solid Waste Control
- Septic Systems
- Septic system plan review and installation approval assure the proper disposal of sewage, protection of groundwater, and avoidance of nuisance conditions. Additionally, investigations of malfunctioning systems and alterations and repairs to existing systems are enforced by this division.
- Noise Control
- Registered Environmental Health Specialists (REHS) review and inspect all aspects of newly constructed and replacement wells for homeowners and public non-community (PNC) water supply systems that serve as a source of potable water. The review and inspection process is conducted to ensure the water supply system and water quality is in compliance with the applicable regulatory standards.
- Pesticide Compliance
If you have any questions regarding Environmental Health, please call 856-218-4170 or visit https://www.gloucestercountynj.gov/301/Environmental-Health
Our departments will always provide individuals with the best options for them and their families. We hope if you are in need, you will not hesitate to reach out to our departments and offices.
Robert M. Damminger
Gloucester County Board of Commissioners