Gloucester County is committed to serving all residents with the best services we have to offer.
As Director of the Gloucester County Board of Commissioners, I have the privilege to oversee all departments that serve the residents of Gloucester County.
In 2021, we’re continuing these services, events and more and want to educate you on how you can get the most out of living in Gloucester County.
The Department of Parks and Recreation acquires and develop park land which enables the residents of Gloucester County to freely exercise their needs and desires for recreation in an atmosphere of open spaces.
Gloucester County is home to four beautiful parks including: James G. Atkinson Memorial Park, Red Bank Battlefield Park, Scotland Run Park and Greenwich Lake Park.
This week we’ll be exploring James G. Atkinson Park and all the great things it has to offer. Some of it’s amenities include:
- 8 lighted tennis courts
- Our tennis courts host our Summer Tennis Lessons
- 6 lighted pickleball courts
- Parks and Rec is always hosting skills clinics, beginners’ clinics and fun activities for our Pickleball enthusiasts. Did you know pickleball is the fastest growing sport in America?
- 1 lighted basketball court
- 2 lighted basketball half-courts
- 1 Birthday Corral
- Our birthday corral has a max occupancy of 40 people and includes 6 toddler tables, 2 large picnic tables and 1 charcoal grill.
- 1 Pavilion (max occupancy 100 people)
- The pavilion at Scotland Run Park can hold up to 100 people and includes 12 tables, 2 charcoal grills and is equipped with lighting and electric.
- Our amphitheater hosts many events throughout the year including our Summer Concerts, Family Fun Activities and more!
In addition to the programs at our parks, we continue to partner with our municipalities to offer services to residents a little closer to home. These include:
- Summer Movies in the Park
- Summer Family Fun Shows
- Summer Concert Series
- Additional events like
- 9/11 Memorial
- Park Cleanups
- And more!
We’re so excited to be able to hold our summer camps and programming this year. We missed seeing everyone at the park, and hope you’ll stop by to enjoy our parks this summer.
Stay tuned for our County Newsletter for specifics on what’s new this year and how to register. Don’t forget to add them to your calendar so you don’t miss out!
If you have any questions about our parks, programming or renting pavilions please call 856-251-6710 or visithttps://www.gloucestercountynj.gov/646/Parks-Recreation
Our departments will always provide individuals with the best options for them and their families. We hope if you are in need, you will not hesitate to reach out to our departments and offices.
Robert M. Damminger
Gloucester County Board of Commissioners