Gloucester County is committed to serving our residents and providing them with the best services we have to offer.
As Director of the Gloucester County Board of Commissioners, I have the privilege to oversee all departments that serve the residents of Gloucester County.
In 2021, we’re continuing these services, events and more and want to educate you on how you can get the most out of living in Gloucester County.
The Office of Emergency Management (OEM) operates under the Department of Emergency Response. Emergency Management is the discipline and profession of applying science, technology, planning, and management to deal with extreme events that can affect large numbers of people, do extensive damage, or disrupt a community.
OEM coordinates the preparedness, response, recovery and mitigation efforts of our (24) municipalities, and for the county itself, with regard to the hazards and risks which threaten the health and safety of our residents, the environment, and our public and private property.
Here’s just some of the responsibility’s OEM is responsible for:
- Administering federal grants awarded to the county and our municipalities, to include the annual Emergency Management Agency Assistance Grant, the annual State Homeland Security Grant Program and Mitigation Projects funded by FEMA.
- Maintaining and updating the federal and state required Emergency Operations and Mitigation Plans for the county.
- Reviewing and endorsing the mandated Emergency Operations Plans of each of our municipalities for their quadrennial recertification by the State.
- Coordinating the response activities of the county to emergencies/disasters, working in either (or both) our Emergency Operations Centers, or in the field, in support of local officials.
- These efforts involve the provision of technical and operational resources such as Drones and Communication Assets.
- Providing the interface between and among the State Office of Emergency Management, FEMA and our municipal OEMs for information sharing, situational awareness and disaster response and recovery efforts.
- Coordinating and administering the recovery efforts of the county and our municipalities with regard to federally declared disasters and the public and individual assistance which is made available following those disasters.
- Facilitating the delivery of Emergency Management related training courses for members of our county and municipal public safety agencies and organizations.
- Collaborating with our Schools, and Healthcare and Industrial facilities, that are operating in the county, with emergency preparedness planning and exercising.
- Delivering emergency management presentations to outside agencies or groups when requested.
In addition to the services listed above, OEM has been instrumental in the fight against COVID-19 in Gloucester County. Since March 2020, they have worked diligently with the Gloucester County Department of Health to educate and protect our residents against the virus. Together, they continue to operate COVID-19 testing and vaccinations for New Jersey residents.
Myself and the entire Board of County Commissioners are committed to providing outstanding services to its residents.
We take pride in the fact that our departments will always provide individuals with the best and safest options for them and their families. We hope if you are in need, you will not hesitate to reach out to our departments and offices.
We are always here to answer questions and listen to suggestions from our residents. It’s with your help that we can continue to make Gloucester County the best place for you, your family and your friends to live, work and grow.
Robert M. Damminger
Gloucester County Board of Commissioners