Gloucester County is committed to serving our residents and providing them with the best services we have to offer.
As Director of the Gloucester County Board of Commissioners, I have the privilege to oversee all departments that serve the residents of Gloucester County.
In 2021, we’re continuing these services, events and more and want to educate you on how you can get the most out of living in Gloucester County.
The Gloucester County Library System (GCLS) is a group of individual and interdependent libraries that cooperate through a central administrative body to provide a wide range of library services for eligible patrons. Sharing resources enables members of the system to provide more cost-effective and technologically sophisticated services than any could provide operating alone.
The GCLS staff is responsible to a five-member library commission, which is appointed by the Gloucester County Board of County Commissioners. Funds for system services are provided by the member municipalities through a dedicated library tax.
The mission of the GCLS is to providing welcoming community spaces where people gather to learn, create, and have fun. GCLS libraries are the center of an informed, engaged, and connected community. Here’s some of the services offered by our library system:
- Checking Out Materials
- Most items offered by GCLS can be checked out for two weeks. You can renew items up to two times if there are no holds on items. If you choose to keep an item longer, there is a fee of 10¢ per day per item. Different rules apply to GCLS Express items.
- Items can be renewed in person, online at www.gcls.org, (select “My Account”) or by phone at 856-223-6060.
- GCLS cardholders can check out a wide variety of downloadable content including eBooks, audio books, magazines, music, TV shows and movies. Simple to access and use, without the hassle of having to return the items you’ve borrowed, all you need is your GCLS library card, a web browser, smart phone or tablet to get started.
- Professional Librarians
- Certified professional librarians are always available at the Mullica Hill Reference Desk. If you have a specific question or issue, you can call 856-223-6050 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Librarian By Appointment
- If you have a more complex question, schedule a one-time session of up to one hour with a reference librarian to get personalized assistance with your information needs.
- Tech by Appointment
- Schedule a one-time session with a member of our Digital Services staff for help with your laptop or other device.
- Online Resources
- GCLS offers extensive online research resources such as Brainfuse tutoring, ReferenceSolutions, LearningExpress, and Universal Class, 24/7 through the library system’s website: www.gcls.org.
- Computer Access
- Each GCLS library has public computers with high-speed Internet access, plus a full array of programs including the Microsoft Office Suite (Microsoft Word, etc.). In addition, all branches are wireless hotspots
- Free educational and entertaining programs for children, teens and adults are offered year-round. View the GCLS online Event Calendar at www.gcls.org/calendar.
- Summer Reading Programs
- Summer Reading Programs entertain library users of all ages and keeps them motivated to read during the summer months.
- Book Club in a Bag
- This convenient book kit includes everything needed for a stimulating book discussion for up to 12 people.
- Notary Service
- Free notary service is available to residents of our member communities (some limits apply). Call the closest GCLS library for information and availability.
- Homebound Service
- This free delivery service is available to residents of GCLS member communities who are confined to their homes and unable to visit the library.
- Meeting Rooms
- Public meeting rooms are available to nonprofit community organizations. Call 856-223-6033 for information.
- Gloucester County Library System offers makerspaces to give the public access to the newest technology
Throughout the pandemic, the GCLS transformed it’s content to reach residents in their homes with online story times, book discussions, cooking videos, STEM videos and local history. They also launched Contactless Pickup services and online tutoring.
The Library is a great example of how our services work to benefit our residents regardless of the restrictions at hand. Their online content was such a hit, it will be continuing even after the pandemic.
Myself and the entire Board of County Commissioners is committed to providing outstanding services to its residents. Our departments will always provide individuals with the best service for them and their families. We hope if you are in need, you will not hesitate to reach out to our departments and offices.
We are always here to answer questions and listen to suggestions from our residents. It’s with your help that we can continue to make Gloucester County the best place for you, your family and your friends to live, work and grow.
Robert M. Damminger
Gloucester County Board of Commissioners