The Gloucester County Prosecutor’s Office (GCPO) has acquired and implemented the use of Body-Worn Cameras (BWCs). Utilizing BWCs will:
1) Provide objective evidence of what took place in a police-citizen encounter.
2) Discourage all parties from engaging in inappropriate conduct and from providing false information about an encounter.
3) Capture accurate visual depictions of evidence including where and how evidence was found.
4) Capture the physical appearance of suspects and victims.
5) Document witness and suspect statements.
6) BWCs will serve to supplement and corroborate police reports and officer testimony.
BWC use will be governed by, and is in accordance with, the NJ Attorney General’s Directive and the Gloucester County Prosecutor’s Office Standard Operating Procedure on BWCs.
The photographs below depict a detective wearing a BWC and a close-up photograph of the actual Body-Worn Camera utilized by the GCPO. This will assist citizens in understanding what a BWC looks like and how it will be positioned on the Detective’s body.