What is going on?
- A tanker is venting a chemical called Mercaptan which has an odor similar to a rotten egg smell
- Air monitoring is taking place at the site and surrounding areas
- The air monitor readings show it is safe to be outside
- We will continue to monitor the air until this incident is over
What symptoms can I expect to see with this chemical?
- Mild and temporary irritation in your throat, eyes, and possibly skin.
Who should I call if I feel very sick?
- Contact your doctor, urgent care, or go to the closest hospital
Is it safe to go outside?
- Yes, because air monitoring indicates it is safe to be outside
Is this smell harmful to my pets?
- The smell is more of a “nuisance,” but if your pet is not acting normal, call your veterinarian
What if my home has an odor that is not there normally?
- Wait until the odor levels go away and then open your windows and use fans to exhaust outside your home
Can I use my air conditioner?
- Yes, it is safe to use your air conditioner
How long will this last for?
- We are working as fast and safely as possible to solve this problem, but it can take up to a few days
Where can I find out more information?
- Please sign up for real-time alerts: https://bit.ly/3bRnNRL
- Facebook: GloucesterCountyOEM
- Twitter: GloCoOEM
- Instagram: GloCoOem
- County Website: https://www.gloucestercountynj.gov
- Call Center: 856-384-6800 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Spanish copy can be found here