2 South Broad Street
Woodbury, NJ 08096
Sheriff Carmel Morina began his Law Enforcement career in 1983 with the Greenwich Township Police Department.
Sheriff Morina is a Certified Chief Law Enforcement Executive who was promoted to Sergeant in 1991 and then appointed Chief of the Greenwich Township Police Department in May of 2000. After becoming Greenwich Township's Police Chief, he implemented a variety of innovative public-safety initiatives that made his community safer. During his career in Greenwich Township, Sheriff Morina implemented a Canine Unit (K-9), a Bike Patrol Unit, R.U. Okay Program for senior citizens and a Traffic Enforcement Unit. He was the first ever DARE Officer in Greenwich Township coordinating the program from inception and also organizing the McGruff Crime Dog and all community and school related activities.
A graduate of Temple University with a Bachelor's Degree in Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, he is also a graduate of the Seagirt Police Academy and the Gloucester County Police Academy DARE Officer Training Program.
Sheriff Morina is very involved in various community activities and is a member of many organizations. His Law Enforcement related memberships include,:
- Gloucester County Police Chiefs Association
- International Association of Chiefs of Police
- New Jersey State Association of Chiefs of Police
- Policemen's Benevolent Association
- The Sheriff's Association of New Jersey and the National Sheriff's Association
- The South Jersey Chief's Association
Morina's community based organization memberships include:
- Gibbstown Midget Football Coach
- Order Son's of Italy Lodge 2580
- Paulsboro Junior Wrestling Coach
- Paulsboro Masons Lodge 157
- Paulsboro Moose Lodge
- Saint Michael's Roman Catholic Church
- St. Michael's Mutual Club
Morina is a former board member of the Greenwich Township Board of Education, the Greenwich Township Municipal Alliance, former President and Vice President of the NJSIAA Wrestling Officials Association.
Awards & Recognition
Sheriff Morina has received many Athletic, Scholastic and Community honors including:
- 3rd and 4th District Legislative Citations for Community Service
- Gibbstown Democrat Club Community Service Award
- Athony T. Calista VFW Post 5579 Man of the Year
- Gibbstown Lion's Club Citizen of the Year
- South Jersey Wrestling Officials Official of the Year
- Paulsboro High School Outstanding Graduate
- Gloucester County Sports Hall of Fame 1993
- South Jersey Wrestling Hall of Fame 1992
- Gloucester County Police Service Award for Life Saving 1990
- New Jersey State Wrestling Champ in 1975
Sheriff Morina is committed to insuring the public safety for all the people of Gloucester County. Upon taking office in 2007, he implemented the Project Lifesaver Program which is a reliable rapid-response partnership with law enforcement aiding victims and families suffering from Alzheimer's disease and related disorders such as Down's Syndrome and Autism. The Sheriff's Department K-9 Unit consists of an Arson Canine and was further enhanced by the addition of a Bomb Detection Canine to assist with county building security and to also assist the 24 municipalities within the county when the need arises.