Rural Shopping Services
Department of Transportation Services (DTS) operates bus service on a three day per week basis in the rural areas of Gloucester County to provide rural residents with shopping opportunities as well as service to other locations along the route. The service is operated as a demand response bus route service. A one to two-day notice is required to schedule your pick-up after the application has been made. An application for county transportation is available online or by request Advance notice requirements also apply for demand response service.
Plastic Bag Ban
Starting May 4, 2022, large grocery stores will no longer provide plastic or paper bags for purchased items. You will have to use your own bags, buy re-usable bags, or carry out your purchases. DTS may not be able to transport you with items that are loose and not able to be safely secured. Plastic Bag Ban
The service operates Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday each week. The bus service operates on a different route and accesses different destinations. The service operates in the municipalities of East Greenwich, Harrison (Mullica Hill area), Swedesboro, and Logan. Please click on the Rural Bus Schedules below to print or view schedules.
The rural shopping bus is offered fare-free. Donation envelopes are available from drivers for those who wish to make a donation to support the service.
- Passengers are not to purchase more than 2 to 3 bags of groceries per shopping trip.
- The driver will assist loading bags (less than 20 pounds) supermarket cart to the baggage area. At your destination, the driver will assist in unloading the bags to the curb area.
- Bags are not to be overloaded. Passengers are expected to carry their purchases from the curb to their homes.
- Passengers unable to carry purchases to their door should purchase a soft-side folding cart that can be stored by the driver in the vehicle. Carts cannot be stored in front of the passenger's seat. This is a safety hazard and is not permitted.
- Those passengers who are too frail to carry their own packages home or are unable to use a cart will be encouraged to have a friend or relative accompany them on the trip or meet them at their home.